To all our wonderful supporters who donated via Kickstarter or by check, your name is now officially up on our Donor Wall!
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any errors regarding your name, if you are missing, or if you wish to stay anonymous. Thank you.
A big thank you to the 413 backers who made our Kickstarter campaign to raise finishing funds, successful!
Now that we’ve gathered such a great network, we’d like your input. Please share your ideas on Facebook or email us directly: email@example.com
- How would you use GOT BALZ? in your work or community?
- What would help educators use the film?
- What resources would be useful on the film’s website?
- Who should see the film?
- Who would be good partners in our outreach & engagement campaign?
- How we can we connect with them?
We can’t wait to share the finished film.
Mica with his grandfather, Herb Schneider
Be sure to check out our mentions in the Israel Times and the New Jersey Jewish News. For previous press mentions, please visit our press page. This page will be updated regularly with news about Got Balz?.
40 days to $40k
April 6, 2012 – May 16, 2012
Thirteen-year-old Mica is on a mission to send baseballs to Cuba—an act of thanks for sheltering his grandfather during the Holocaust. Collecting balls and bats seems easy, but he’s thrown a curveball when youthful idealism collides with U.S. policy and family history. A charming coming-of-age story that asks: what does it take to do good in the world?
On April 6, we launched our Kickstarter Campaign: 40 days to $40k! It has been three years since Mica embarked on his mission to send baseballs to Cuba, and we began our journey to document it with Got Balz?. Now, we need your help to bring it home plate. Join our support team by making a tax deductible donation. Be a player and reap the rewards!
A street in Old Habana
The website has gotten a few little face lifts and additions of news and resources:
1. How You Can Help Out is a page with numerous ways you can support and get the word out about Got Balz?. You can simply like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for interesting tidbits and news on Cuba and baseball and social service. Or you can go to the next level by contributing end-of-the-year donations (tax-deductible). If you know people or organizations who can use this film for their initiatives or are interested in the same stuff we are, please refer us to them. We are always seeking ways to spread the word.
2. Archived Newsletters are available on the website. Just in case you missed the previous ones. If you want to hear what is currently in the works and what special offers there are, please join our mailing list. We mail up to three-four times a year so your inbox will not be spammed.
Thank you for staying connected with us!
A while ago, a new sample reel was uploaded online–it was actually intended to be the updated trailer! Sorry about the mistake folks. If you haven’t seen it yet, the new trailer includes unseen footage from Cuba.
Marcia and Ken have returned from Barcelona with much work done on Got Balz? so stay tuned for a follow-up newsletter and updates. If you would like to receive our newsletter, join our mailing list here.
In March, we finally did it. With grants from the San Francisco Foundation, the Eastman Fund, and numerous contributions from many of you, we traveled to Cuba to film the realization of our now 15-year old son Mica’s three-year effort to donate baseball equipment to Cuban youth. We had an amazing journey. With 200 lbs of bats, balls, mitts, catcher’s gear, batting helmets, and cleats, we stayed just this side of the baggage limits.
Our Facebook page will cover the latest insights on Cuba and related news so don’t miss out! We will continue to post updates and exciting new discoveries here on wordpress as well.